Thank you for your interest in employment at SRI International. Read further for tips on how to use our Careers tool effectively.
- Registration and Login
Get help with registering for our site, logging in, and changing your password.
- Search for Jobs
Learn more about keyword searching, saving jobs that interest you, saving search criteria, and setting up an automated job agent that will notify you when jobs are posted that match your search criteria.
- Apply for Jobs
Learn how to submit your qualifications to SRI, upload your resume, and apply for a job.
- Viewing Resumes, Applications, and Attachments
Learn where to go to view the resumes, attachments, and applications you have saved or submitted.
- Editing your Contact Information
Learn how to edit your profile and change your contact information.
- Browser and System Help
View the list of supported browsers and operating systems, learn the correct settings to use for pop-up windows, and review additional information on system availability and the time out policy.
- Frequently Asked Questions
Get answers to frequently asked questions about the Careers tool.
1. Registration and Login
You may search our list of available jobs without registering for our site, but you must register in order to:
- Create a user profile with your name and contact information
- Apply for a job
- Save a job
- Save a job search
- Create an automated search that will notify you when jobs that meet your criteria become available
To begin the registration process, click the ‘Register’ link from the Job Search Home page. You may also be prompted to register if you attempt to complete an action that requires you to have an account created.
Enter a user name, select and confirm a password, and click ‘Register’.
- User Name. The user name you choose can be any name you like but should be easy for you to remember, such as your email address. You cannot change your user name once created; however, you can view your user name at any time on the ‘My Profile’ page. Your user name is not case sensitive.
- Password. Passwords are case sensitive and can include any combination of letters, numbers, and characters. Enter your password twice to ensure it has been entered correctly.
Please choose a user name and password that you will remember, as you will be required to login at different points during the recruitment process.
To change your password after you have registered:
- Login first using your existing password
- Click the ‘My Profile’ link from the Careers Home page
- Click the ‘Change Password’ link
- Enter and confirm your new password and click ‘Save’
If the system cannot find your user name when you try to sign on:
- You may have entered your user name incorrectly the first time and now you cannot match it. To retrieve the user name associated with your account, click the ‘Login Help’ link from the Login page. Enter the email address associated with your profile and click the button ‘Find User Name’. This will email your user name to the email address associated with your profile. If you do not receive the email within a few minutes of completing the request, please check your email Spam folder. If you did not previously create a profile and provide a valid email address, you may not be able to retrieve your original user name. In this case, you will need to create a new account. Click ‘Register’ and choose a new user name and password.
If you get an error saying your password is incorrect, here are some possible reasons and solutions:
- Passwords are case sensitive. Check your capitalization, or see if the Caps Lock key is on.
- You can’t remember your password. Click the ‘Login Help’ link, enter your user name, and click ‘Get New Password’. A system-generated password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile. If you do not receive the email within a few minutes of completing the request, please check your email Spam folder. Once you retrieve your new password and login, click the ‘My Profile’ link, click ‘Change Password’, and specify your own new password. If you have not previously provided an email address, you will not be able to retrieve a new password and you will need to create a new account. Click ‘Register’ and choose a new user name and password.
2. Search for Jobs
You can search for jobs directly from the Job Search Home page. After logging in, you can use the basic search option on the Careers Home page or click the ‘Advanced Search’ link or ‘Job Search’ link for more searching options. If you find jobs that interest you, you’ll need to register before you will be able to save a job, save search criteria to use again later, set up an automated notification when new job openings are posted that match your search criteria, or apply for a job.
General search tips When you enter or choose criteria in several search fields, you are requesting a list of jobs that meet all the requirements you enter. Each term you add will narrow the list of jobs that meet your search criteria. See below for more information.
Search field details
- Keyword. Enter a term associated with the type of job you are looking for and click search to return a list of jobs with that keyword specified. Try different variations of the same word to make sure you are returning all applicable jobs. See below for additional tips on searching by keyword.
- Location. You can search only for jobs openings at the specific SRI locations where you would like to work. To choose multiple locations, select one location, and then hold the Control key (or Command key for Macintosh) while you select additional locations.
- Job Family. You can limit your search results by specifying the job family category that most applies to the type of job you are interested in. To choose multiple job families, select one job family, and then hold the Control key (or Command key for Macintosh) while you specify additional job families.
- Full/Part Time. You can restrict your search to only full time or part time job openings.
- Reg/Temp. You can restrict your search to only regular or temporary jobs.
- Job Opening ID. You may learn of the job opening number associated with an SRI job posting through a conversation with a recruiter, a job advertisement, or an email informing you of a job you might be interested in. If you know the specific job opening ID identifier, you can specify the job opening ID here to return only that job. Please note that if the job opening has been closed, you will not return any results.
- Find Jobs Posted Within. This allows you to search by the date of the job posting. This is particularly helpful if you want to see all new jobs posted since your last search on our site.
- Display Results Sorted by. Use this field to specify how you would like your search results displayed. You may also, on the job search results page, sort by any field by clicking on the column name. Clicking twice will reverse the order of results returned.
Searching by keyword
Use keywords to search for terms that appear in a job’s title or description
Note: As job titles and descriptions may include abbreviations or acronyms, it is best to search on a partial word using the * symbol to return all variations of that word. For example, if you are searching for the word Engineering, you could search using the term Engineer*. This will return all jobs with the word engineer or engineering in the job title or description.
A comma between keywords means or. For example, search results for mechanical, engineer will return all jobs that include either word. Jobs with both words will return at the top of your search results.
Using or between search terms works the same as a comma, above.
Search terms enclosed within quotation marks
Searches for the exact word or phrase.
Two or more words without commas or quotes
Searches for the exact phrase, but also includes the space after each word. Similar to using quotes above.
If you type and between two search terms, your results will include jobs with both words somewhere within the job description fields – but not necessarily together. For example, results for mechanical and engineer could include a job with the title Electrical Engineer and mechanical somewhere in the job description. If only one of the search terms is found, the job will not appear in your results.
If you enter not between two words, results will include jobs that include the first word, minus jobs that also contain the second word.
Use the asterisk symbol with a partial word to conduct a wildcard search. For example, if you are searching for the word Engineering, you could enter term Engineer*. This will return all jobs with the word engineer or engineering in the job title or description.
Use parentheses to clarify relationships between search terms. For example, if you are searching for (electrical OR mechanical) AND engineering, you will return Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering jobs.
Do not use semicolons – no results will return.
Search results: view, save, or apply for jobs
- How to view your search criteria. By default, the search results page does not redisplay the search terms you entered. To view and edit your search criteria from the search results page, click the icon on the bar titled ‘Click icon to view or change Job Search criteria’ above your search results. Click the icon again to re-hide your criteria.
- How to view a job description. To view the job description, click the job title on the search results page.
- How to save a job to ’My Saved Jobs’. The save job function allows you to select jobs and save them to review later. There are two ways to save a job to ‘My Saved Jobs’:
- From the search results page, click the checkbox to the left of the job title (you may select multiple jobs at once), and click the ‘Save Jobs’ button.
- From the job description page, click the ‘Save Job’ button
To delete jobs from your saved jobs, click the checkbox next to one or more jobs and click the ‘Delete’ button.
Saving searches and using job agents
Saving a search allows you to use your search criteria again without re-entering each search term. At the time you save a search, you can also set it up as a job agent, which will email job postings to you based on the saved criteria. You will also see a message in the Job Agent Notifications box on the Job Search Home page when new jobs have been found that match your job search criteria.
To save a search or set up a job agent, you must begin from Job Search page:
- Enter your criteria
- Click the 'Save Search' button
- Name your search
- If you want to use this search as a job agent, click the Job Agent checkbox
- Enter the email address where you would like to receive the search results (note: This email address can be different than the email address you have used on your profile).
- Click 'Save Search'
- You'll be taken to the 'My Saved Searches' page, where you will see your new search listed. Each saved search has a link to edit or delete the search, and a button to run the search. Return to this page anytime, by clicking the 'My Saved Searches' link.
- To stop receiving job agent notifications, go to the 'My Saved Searches' page and delete the saved search.
More information on job agent searches:
A job agent will run your search automatically every Monday through Friday morning for 186 days. If the job search returns any new jobs that meet your criteria, you will receive an email and a message in the Job Agent Notifications box on the Job Search Home page. The next time the agent searches for you, it checks for new jobs added since your last notification. To stop receiving job agent notifications, go to the ‘My Saved Searches’ page and delete the saved search.
To retrieve more details about the jobs listed in your job search agent email:
- Go to the Job Search site and search for the job by entering the Job Opening number provided in the email notification. If the job interests you, you can sign on to apply.
- Sign on and run your saved search again to retrieve the matching jobs (which may be more than the five-job limit of the email). The link to your saved search will appear under Notifications and on the My Saved Searches page.
3. Apply for Jobs
Please note: you must register before applying for a job.
There are several ways to apply for a job:
- From the search results page, click the checkbox to the left of the job title (you may select multiple jobs at once) and click the 'Apply Now' button.
- From your saved jobs, click the checkbox to the left of the job title (you may select multiple jobs at once) and click the 'Apply Now' button.
- From the job description page, click the 'Apply Now' button.
You may submit your resume without applying for a specific job by clicking the ‘Apply now without adding a job’ link on the Careers Home page. Please note: you must be logged in before the ‘Apply now without adding a job’ link is available.
Adding a resume
Once you have registered and clicked the ‘Apply Now’ button, you will be prompted to upload a resume, copy and paste your resume text or apply without using a resume.
If you choose to upload a resume, the information from your resume will be used to pre-populate your profile and application to the extent possible. Even though this information has been parsed from your uploaded resume, you will still need to review and edit all information defaulted on your application. The information parsed is not always complete and some of your relevant work experience, education, or languages may be missing. It is important that you review each section of the application before submitting. Once you have browsed and uploaded your resume, you may view the attachment or click ‘Continue’. Please note: you must disable the pop-up blocker for this site to view your attachments. You may also have some trouble downloading your attachment with certain browsers and operating systems. Please see Viewing Resumes, Applications, and Attachments below. If you have trouble uploading your resume, please see FAQ I am not able to upload my resume, what should I do?
If you choose to copy and paste resume text, you will be provided with a resume title field and text box. The title of resume will be used as the name of your resume and will appear under My Career Tools when you wish to view the resume text. When you copy and paste resume text, the information provided will not be automatically populated on your profile and application. You will need to complete each section of the application.
If you choose to apply without a resume, you must complete the entire profile and application.
Adding your profile
Once you have provided your resume, or have chosen to apply without a resume, you will be prompted to enter you profile information, if you have not already done so. Please complete all fields on the profile page, and provide an email address and phone number by which SRI may contact you. You will need to provide a Primary Email Type and a Primary Phone Type as well as your email address and phone number. The email address you enter here will be used for all communications from SRI International, so it is important that the email address you enter here is correct. Click Save once completed.
Completing your application
After completing your profile, you will be taken to the application for the job to which you are applying. If you uploaded a resume, the information provided will be pre-populated where possible. You must review and edit this information to ensure that the data parsed from your resume is correct. You must also complete the following sections of the resume in order to save and send your application to SRI:
- Required Questionnaire – You must answer all questions. Please note: this section only appears if you are applying to a specific job opening.
- Referral Information – You must answer the ‘How did you hear about SRI?’ question and indicate whether or not you are a former SRI employee.
To enter information for Work Experience, Education History, and Languages, click the ‘Add’ link, complete the required fields and save. If work experience, education history, and languages have been partially completed from your resume, please click on the specific Employer name, Degree, or Language that was uploaded to review and edit the information loaded from your resume.
After each entry, click the ‘Save & Add More’ button to enter more information in the same section, or click ‘Save & Return’ to go back to the main application page. When you return to the main page, you'll see a summary of the details entered.
Here are some tips for each section:
- Work Experience. If you are adding information for the job where you are currently employed, leave the end date blank. You are also not required to provide the address of your employer.
- Education History. Please note: this section is intended to capture only degrees that have been achieved. Any degrees that you are working toward should be indicated on your resume with your expected graduation date. To begin, first select the country and state of your school, then follow the below instructions:
- Next to the School field, click the magnifying glass icon. The Look Up School page will display
- Enter the first letter of your school and the state (if applicable)
- Click the ‘Look Up’ button
- Click the name of your school if found. This will return you to the Add Education History detail page
- If your school name is not returned, click the ‘Cancel’ button to return to the detail page, and enter your school name in the associated Other field
- Follow the same process to choose a major – if your major is not found, please enter your major in the associated Other field
- Choose the applicable degree from the Degree dropdown
- Click the graduated checkbox if you have completed your degree
- Languages. If you are proficient in languages other than English, list them here and indicate your proficiency level.
- Required Questionnaire. You must answer any questions associated with the application. This section will not be displayed if you are applying without a job.
- Referral Information. You must answer the question ‘How did you hear about SRI?’. Choose from the dropdown, or choose the option ‘Other – Specify Below’ if your referral source cannot be found and specify your referral information in the ‘Specific Referral Source’ field. If you choose a value in the ‘How did you hear about SRI?’ dropdown that has applicable subsources, the SubSources drop-down will be populated and available for your selection. If no values are available in the drop-down, you can leave this field blank. If you have been referred to SRI by an existing SRI employee, choose ‘Employee Referral’. Choosing ‘Employee Referral’ will open up two additional fields on the page that you must complete – the name of the SRI employee who referred you and their email address. It is very important to provide a valid email address for the individual who referred you as they will be asked to confirm the referral. You must also indicate if the employee who referred you is a family member. All applicants must indicate whether or not they are a former SRI employee. If this information has not been completed, you will be unable to save the application.
Saving your application as draft
If you are not able to finish an application in one session, select the ‘Save as Draft’ button. To complete a saved application, login with your existing user name and password and click on the My Applications page. Your draft application will be listed under My Applications in a status of ‘Not Applied’. Click the job opening name to open your draft application, make any edits, and submit your application to SRI.
Please Note: Our secure server will time you out after 20 minutes of inactivity. To avoid losing any information as you complete your application, please click the ‘Save as Draft’ button at least once every 20 minutes.
Cancelling your application
You can cancel out of the application process at any time by clicking the ‘Cancel’ button at the bottom of your application. All data you have entered will be lost.
Submitting your application
Once you have completed your application, click the ‘Save & Send to SRI’ button. Please make sure to review the entire application for completion before clicking ‘Save & Send to SRI’ as your application cannot be edited once it has been submitted. After clicking ‘Save & Send to SRI’, you will be prompted to provide your Self Identification details and agree to SRI’s Terms and Agreements. You must agree to SRI’s Terms and Agreements before your application can be submitted.
After you submit your profile or application
- You will receive an email confirming that your resume has been successfully submitted to SRI International.
- You can log in at any time to update your contact information, apply for additional jobs, or view your submitted application.
- For more information on the recruiting process at SRI International, see Our Hiring Process on the careers homepage.
4. Viewing Resumes, Applications, and Attachments
Once you have logged into the SRI Careers Home, click on My Careers Tools to access links to your current profile and contact information, completed and draft applications, and resumes you have previously uploaded.
Viewing previously submitted applications, resumes and attachments
Click on the application name to view your completed application. Please note, once an application has been sent to SRI, you will not be able to edit the application. See instructions below, Editing a previously submitted application, for what to do if you have changes or additions to your existing application.
To view your resume or attachment, click on the name of the document. This will either prompt you to download your attachment, open your attachment in a separate tab in your browser, or open your attachment in a separate window depending on your browser and browser settings. With some browsers, you may experience problems viewing resumes and attachments that you have uploaded. If you are having trouble viewing an attachment, hold down the ctrl button and click on the attachment link. In particular, you must click ctrl plus the link for most versions of IE. Additionally, word documents that are uploaded in IE on Windows Vista cannot be downloaded. If you are still unable to open the attachment by clicking ctrl plus the link, you must try a different browser.
- Under 'My Applications' you will see a listing of your existing applications
- Applications in a 'Not Applied' status are editable applications; those in 'Applied' status are not editable.
- Click on the link associated with the application in a ‘Not Applied’ status to make any updates and save and send to SRI.
If you have submitted a complete application for a specific job and would like to edit your application, you must reapply:
- Locate the Job Opening for which you previously submitted an application
- Click ‘Apply Now’
- Click ‘OK’ to the message informing you that you have already applied to the job
- You will be provided with the following resume options to complete you application:
If you use an existing resume OR choose to upload a new resume:
Applicable sections of the application may be pre-populated with information taken from your resume. Please review and edit these sections as necessary.
If you cut/paste in a resume OR choose to apply without a resume:
You will need to complete all applicable sections of the application.
- In your updated application, remember to include any additional pertinent information that was missed in the previous application before clicking 'Save and Send to SRI'.
5. Editing Your Contact Information
You can edit your contact information at any time by logging in and clicking on the ‘My Profile’ link from the Careers Home page. Complete your edits and updates, and save. Please note, the email address you provide here is the email address that will be used to for notifications from SRI International, including password and user name requests, emails from SRI recruiters, and automated system messages such as a confirmation message that your application has been successfully submitted.
6. Browser and System Help
To ensure a seamless experience as you search and apply for jobs, and progress through our recruitment process, here is some basic technical information and advice.
Internet Service Provider
SRI International recommends that you use a high-speed Internet service (cable, DSL or a secure wireless connection) to access and use the Careers tool. Although you can use the Careers tool with a dial-up account, you may encounter technical difficulties, including system timeouts.
Operating systems and supported browsers
Supported Operating systems include:
- Windows 98 or higher
- Windows Vista
- MAC OS X or MAC OS 9
Most standard browsers work with SRI’s Careers tool, including:
- Firefox 1.0 or higher
- Internet Explorer 6 or higher
- Netscape Navigator 7.0 or higher
Please note: Safari is not supported. With some browsers, you may experience problems viewing resumes and attachments that you have uploaded. If you are having trouble viewing an attachment, hold down the ctrl button and click on the attachment link. In particular, you must click ctrl plus the link for most versions of IE. Additionally, word documents that are uploaded in IE on Windows Vista cannot be downloaded. If you are still unable to open the attachment by clicking ctrl plus the link, you must try a different browser.
Pop-up blockers may prevent you from opening SRI’s Career Home pages. We suggest that you disable pop-up blockers for this site.
System timeouts and screen freezes
To prevent loss of data, save your work by clicking Save as Draft at least once every 20 minutes. You will be timed out of the application after 20 minutes of inactivity.
The SRI Careers tool is available anytime except during scheduled site maintenance. In the event the system is currently unavailable, a message will be displayed with information on the system outage and when you will be able to re-access the system.
Since your information is password-protected, you can safely login and use SRI’s Careers tool from anywhere, even from a public computer. Be sure to sign off once you are done.
7. Frequently Asked Questions
- I have forgotten my User Name and/or Password. What should I do?
If you have forgotten your user name:
Click the ‘Login Help’ link from the Login page. Enter the email address associated with your profile and click the button ‘Find User Name’. Your user name will be sent to your via email. If you do not receive the email within a few minutes, please check your email Spam folder. If you did not previously create a profile and provide a valid email address, you may not be able to retrieve your original user name. In this case, you will need to create a new account. Click ‘Register’ and choose a new user name and password.
If you have forgotten your password:
Click the ‘Login Help’ link on the from the Login page, enter your user name, and click ‘Get New Password’. A system-generated temporary password will be sent to you via email. If you do not receive the email within a few minutes, please check your email Spam folder. Once you retrieve your new password and login, click the ‘My Profile’ link, click ‘Change Password’, and specify your own new password. If you have not previously provided an email address, you will not be able to retrieve a new password and you will need to create a new account. Click ‘Register’ and choose a new user name and password.
- The SRI Careers page has changed! I have an existing careers account with SRI. Will my email address or user name and password allow me to login to the new site?
Effective October 27, 2008, SRI has updated the Careers site. If you have been an active applicant in the last year, you will be able to login using your email address as your user name and your existing password. If your user name and password do not work, you can enter your email address to retrieve your user name using the ‘Login Help’ link on Login page. If your user name cannot be found, please re-register on our new site.
- I am a current SRI employee, should I apply through http://www.sri.com/careers?
No. If you are an SRI employee, you should search and apply for jobs through the Employee Self Service link available on the SRI Insider. You will be automatically registered and you will not be required to complete a personal profile.
- I used a common job title in the keyword search but didn't find the jobs I expected. How can I find them?
Our job titles sometimes contain abbreviations or acronyms. You may want to search again using the job family selection criteria instead, such as Biology and Chemistry, or with alternative keywords that are likely to be used in the job description. See also Search Tips above.
- If I sign up for job agent email notifications, will I receive a notice of the same job more than once?
No. You will only receive new job postings with each notification.
- If I include my resume with my application, do I need to enter my work history and education?
No. It is not necessary to complete these fields; however, you may upload a resume or manually complete the fields in the Work History and Education sections. If you uploaded a resume, the work experience and education sections will be pre-populated where possible. If these sections are pre-populated, you should review and edit this information for accuracy.
- Can I apply for more than one job using a single application?
Yes. From the job search results or from your Saved Jobs, select as many jobs as you'd like and click ‘Apply for Jobs’.
- What is the difference between an application and a profile?
Your profile contains your contact information and can be updated anytime. Your application is specific to the job you are applying for. Once you submit an application, you cannot change it.
- I have a draft application, but I don't want to apply for those jobs anymore. How do I delete the draft application?
From the My Applications page:
- Click on the application in a status of ‘Not Applied’.
- Delete each job on the application by clicking the remove link associated with the job opening at the top of the application.
- Complete the required sections of the application and click ‘Save & Send to SRI’
- Since you have removed the specific jobs from the application, you will not be associated with those jobs although your profile information will remain in our system.
- I am not able to upload my resume, what should I do?
Resumes cannot be loaded if they include images or non-English characters, are too large, or if the loading tool is temporarily unavailable due to a scheduled system outage. You can evaluate your resume to see if any of these conditions apply and attempt to upload your resume again. If you continue to be unsuccessful, choose the option 'Copy and paste resume text' or 'Apply without using a resume'.
- Can I provide my resume via email?
We are unable to accept emailed resumes at this time. To ensure that your resume is routed to the correct recruiter for the positions you are interested in and qualified for, please update your on-line profile to include your resume.
- Can I upload more than one cover letter, transcript, and letter of reference? If I have professional publications, can I provide those as well?
At this time, we are accepting only one cover letter, transcript, and letter of reference per applicant. We recommend that your cover letter broadly state your interest and include all pertinent information. If you are contacted by a recruiter at SRI, you can provide additional documentation to the recruiter directly as needed. At this time, we do not accept any professional publications to be uploaded on our on-line site, but please feel free to include a list of professional publications in your resume.
- What does the message, “Your previous session has expired.” mean?
In order to protect your personal information, our Careers site has an auto-logout feature. If there has been no activity for 20 minutes, the site will terminate your session. To avoid this, you must remain active on the site by viewing open jobs, applying for a job, job searching, etc.
- The system timed out on me while I was applying. Did I lose all my work?
If you have not clicked the ‘Save & Send to SRI’ or ‘Save as Draft’ button, your changes will be lost and you will need to re-apply. You can review the list of applications on the My Career Tools page and, if your application is listed in a status of ‘Not Applied’, your application was saved and you can click on the name of the application to continue where you left off. If you don't see your application listed on the My Career Tools page, you will need to select the job again and re-apply. Any profile information you have saved will be displayed under the My Profile section of the careers site. To avoid system timeouts, click ‘Save as Draft’ on your application at least once every 20 minutes.
- I have applied to SRI International in the past and am no longer actively searching for a new job. Can I be removed from your database of eligible candidates?
Please email email@example.com if you no longer wish to be considered for a job at SRI. Your user name and password will still log you onto our site should you be interested in any future opportunities at SRI and wish to apply.
- Will SRI International sponsor me for a work visa?
If you are chosen for a position at SRI International, our Employment team will work directly with you in your application for proper work authorization.
- Will the information I provide on your site be shared with any third parties?
- I have received an error while on the SRI Career site, who do I contact?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If possible, please include the specific error and the steps you took that caused the error to appear.
- Who can I contact about employment at SRI International?
Questions and inquiries can be sent to email@example.com.