Epitaxial MOCVD Growth and III-V Wafer Processing Services
SRI provides customer-focused foundry services for epitaxial growth and fabrication of compound-semiconductor optoelectronic devices. Our dedicated III-V wafer foundry includes expertise and facilities for fabrication of custom devices.
High-quality epi-material is grown within a production-level metal-organic chemical vapor deposition (MOCVD) reactor configured for the InP, GaAs and GaSb material systems. This epitaxial-growth reactor has large wafer capacity (6 x 2-in. diameter, 3 x 3-in. diameter, 1 x 4-in. or 1 x 6-in. diameter), excellent uniformity, advanced in situ monitoring for improved reproducibility, and materials flexibility due to multiple sources and double dilution networks.
Our expert crystal growers have produced a large number of advanced III-V structures including:
- Low dark-current p-i-n detectors
- High power laser emitters
- Distributed feedback (DFB) lasers operating from 750 nm to 2100 nm
- Quantum cascade devices
- Low-threshold vertical-cavity surface-emitting lasers (VCSELs)
- Thermophotovoltaic cells
They have also grown unique structures on silicon and other non III-V substrates.
In addition, the SRI facility maintains characterization tools to ensure high-quality epi-material including:
- Field emission scanning electron microscopy (SEM)
- High-resolution x-ray diffraction (XRD) analysis to determine lattice constant and layer composition
- Mapping photoluminescence to measure bandgap and material quality/uniformity
- Hall measurements to establish doping densities and carrier mobilities
- Electrochemical Capacitance-Voltage (ECV) profiling to measure carrier concentration versus depth