SRI Biosciences’ Cancer program is uniquely positioned to discover novel approaches to cancer detection and treatment by integrating basic research with industry-honed discovery and development disciplines.
Our research programs focus on the areas of early detection and quantitation of biomarkers of various cancers, as well as identification of novel cancer vaccines and immunotherapies based on HERVs and other novel targets. Examples include:
- Our team is investigating human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs) as targets for early detection, vaccine development and immunotherapies of cancers including breast, ovarian and other cancers. Activated HERVs are expressed and promoted metastasis in breast and other cancers. In collaboration with Stanford University investigators, we are developing a rapid, inexpensive and much-needed early detection test for cancer that can be applied at the point of care.
- Anti-HERV-K antibodies, chimeric antigen receptors and small hairpin RNA molecules (shRNA) generated from our laboratories have been effective in the inhibition of tumor cell growth, induction of cancer cells to undergo programmed cell death (apoptosis) and especially in promoting tumor regression and reducing metastasis in vivo.
- SRI is an accredited center of the National Cancer Institute (NCI) for the PREVENT Cancer Drug Development Program focused on preclinical efficacy and intermediate endpoint biomarkers. SRI hosts a highly experienced team of scientists, modern testing and support facilities and analytical instrumentation suitable to conduct preclinical efficacy and pharmacology studies of potential candidates for clinical evaluation as cancer prevention agents. Ongoing projects include the development of preventive strategies against ovarian cancer.
- SRI’s Tumor Glycome Laboratory is one of seven National Cancer Institute (NCI) funded Tumor Glycome Laboratories that form the trans-NIH Alliance of Glycobiologists for Detection of Cancer and Cancer Risk These researchers search for glycan-based biomarkers and anti-glycan antibodies for tumor detection and targeted immunotherapies.
Our program also provides services for biotechnology and pharmaceutical clients, including:
- Client-focused custom ligand discovery and development support to facilitate targeted drug discovery programs
- High-throughput (HTS) and high-content screening (HCS) services
- Design and performance of in vitro assays and in vivo efficacy studies
- Supportive molecular biology, biochemistry, imaging and histopathology services
- On-site irradiator capabilities
- Cell line testing and banking
- Noninvasive imaging models