- Services & Solutions
- Clients & Partners
Senior Researcher, SRI Education
Kevin McElhaney is Senior Researcher of science and engineering education. He conducts design, implementation, and evaluation research on curricula, assessments, and teacher professional development in K-12 across the science, engineering, and computer science disciplines. Of particular interest are the alignment of technology-enhanced curriculum materials, instructionally supportive assessments, and professional development opportunities with national frameworks and standards, such as the Framework for K-12 Science Education, the K-12 Computer Science Framework, and the Next Generation Science Standards.
McElhaney’s current work integrates the disciplines of science, engineering, and computer science by anchoring authentic engineering design problems and computational thinking tasks to project-based investigations of science phenomena, problems, and issues. This approach lowers barriers to implementing engineering and computer science in public school contexts and helps make science instruction relevant, meaningful, and compelling to diverse students. McElhaney takes advantage of principled design approaches that align curriculum and assessment to frameworks and standards and that integrate content and practice.
Prior to joining SRI, McElhaney was a postdoctoral scholar and graduate researcher at University of California, Berkeley. At UC Berkeley he was a fellow of the NSF-funded Technology Enhanced Learning in Science (TELS) Center and worked on its related NSF projects Visualizing to Integrate Science Understanding for All Learners (VISUAL) and Continuous Learning and Automated Scoring in Science (CLASS). He also taught high school mathematics and science for five years in California and Missouri and conducted materials research in the Microsystems Technology department at Intel Corporation.
- Ph.D. Education in Mathematics, Science, and Technology, University of California, Berkeley (2010)
- Ed.M. Teaching and Curriculum, Harvard University (1999)
- M.S. Materials Science and Engineering, Northwestern University (1997)
- B.S. Materials Science and Engineering, Stanford University (1996)
- Senior Researcher, SRI Education (2017–present)
- Education Researcher, SRI Education (2013–17)
- Postdoctoral Scholar, Graduate School of Education, UC Berkeley (2010–13)
- Graduate Student Researcher, Graduate School of Education, UC Berkeley (2004–10)
- Mathematics and Science Teacher, Parkway School District (MO) (2001–04)
- Mathematics and Science Teacher, Los Gatos-Saratoga Union High School District (CA) (1999–2001)
Current and Recent Projects
- A Collaborative and Synergistic Approach to K-12 Computing and STEM Education (co-Principal Investigator)
- Designing an Integrated Framework for Genetics Education to Develop Innovative Curricula and Assessments (co-Principal Investigator)
- Next Generation Science Assessments in Physical and Life Science
- Computer Science in Secondary Schools