- Services & Solutions
- Clients & Partners
Senior Education Researcher, Center for Technology in Learning
Savitha Moorthy's research focuses on science education and on how media and technology can support STEM instruction across a variety of grade levels, from preschool to middle school.
Moorthy’s recent projects emphasize new directions in science education. She is interested in understanding how science classrooms can be organized so that students are doing science, and thinking and talking like scientists. Her work explores how the orchestration of classroom talk can support science teaching and learning, and engage students in scientific reasoning, explanation, and argumentation.
Moorthy contributes to several projects, including the Efficacy Study of Project-Based Inquiry Science, the Contingent Pedagogies for Conceptual Teaching + Learning project, the study of Joint Engagement with Media for Preschool Science, and the summative evaluation of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting’s Ready to Learn initiative.
- Ph.D., Social Science in Education, Stanford University, 2006
- M.A., Applied Linguistics and Translation Studies, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad, India, 1995
- B.A., English, Madras University, Chennai, 1992
- Education Researcher, Center for Technology in Learning, SRI International, Menlo Park, CA. (2009 - Present)
- Senior Research Analyst, Berkeley Policy Associates, Oakland, CA. (2007 –2009)
- Stanford-Ravenswood Partnership Director, Haas Center for Public Service, Stanford University, Stanford, CA. (2003 –2007)
- Efficacy Study of Project-Based Inquiry Science
- Joint Engagement With Media for Preschool Science (Learning in Informal and Formal Environments)
- Contingent Pedagogies for Conceptual Teaching + Learning
- Evaluation of the Ready to Learn Initiative