- Services & Solutions
- Clients & Partners
Research Social Scientist, Center for Technology in Learning
Tim Podkul, Ph.D. is a research social scientist at SRI’s Center for Technology in Learning. An applied anthropologist by training, his specialization is in mixed-methods research design with a theoretical and methodological expertise in social network analysis. Podkul has extensive experience working in both international and domestic settings, applying qualitative and quantitative research methods in cross-disciplinary research.
He currently serves as an instructor for NSF-funded workshops on social network analysis, and as an advisor for projects applying network analysis. His work on social networks and social capital has contributed to a variety of studies in the fields of education, as well as international development, environmental science, and public health. Podkul has been a principal investigator on grants funded by various organizations including the National Science Foundation and Department of Education, and was a William J. Fulbright scholar in Peru.
Podkul’s current research focuses on modeling social relationships in informal and formal settings integral to knowledge sharing, curriculum development and persistence in K-16 STEM education. Podkul’s experience includes assessment and evaluation efforts of collaboratives and networks, curriculum design, informal science education partnerships, organizational analysis, student learning through technology interventions, and efforts to scale up research and bridge the gaps between research and practice.
- Ph.D., applied anthropology, University of Florida
- MA, medical anthropology, University of Florida
- BA, anthropology, Connecticut College
- Research Social Scientist, SRI International, Menlo Park, CA (2012-present)
- Research Consultant, Stanford University, Graduate School of Education, Stanford, CA (2012-2013)
- William J. Fulbright Scholar, Peru (2010)
- Research Associate, Bureau of Economic and Business Research, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL (2007-2012)
- Senior Project Associate, Development Alternatives, Inc., Bethesda, MD (2004-2006)
- Project Associate, Development Alternatives, Inc., Bethesda, MD (2003-2004)
- Modeling Social Complexity in Engineering Education
- Connected Learning Research Network Longitudinal Study
- Afterschool Science Network Study
- Evaluation of A Research + Practice Collaboratory
- Research Team, Nanoscale Informal Science Education Network (NISE Net)
- Evaluation of A Partnership for Bay Area Science Education (BaySci)