EduSpeak is a speech recognition toolkit specifically designed for developers of language-learning applications (such as for English as a Second Language, or ESL) and other educational and training software. The technology is available for license from SRI.
Increasingly, educators, publishers, employers, and consumers use interactive, computer-based materials to teach or train students of all ages. Adding speech recognition is a principal way to enhance these materials’ interactivity and ultimate effectiveness. However, general-purpose speech recognition systems lack the broad array of multimedia development interfaces essential for use with diverse educational platforms.
Unlike those general-purpose systems, EduSpeak works with Flash, Java, ActiveX, and C/C++. EduSpeak works for both adult and child voices. EduSpeak excels at recognizing both native and non-native speakers. And no other speech recognition system includes SRI’s patented human-calibrated pronunciation-scoring technology—a critical product differentiator for interactive language learning and assessment, and for reading instruction applications.
- Wide range of programming interfaces
- Recognizes adult and child voices
- Works for native and non-native speakers
- Human-calibrated pronunciation scoring
- Deployable locally, via download, CD- or DVD-ROM media, or client/server or cloud services
- Windows XP or later
- Mac OS X 10.4 or later
- Flash, Java (via JNI), ActiveX, C/C++, Java Script, and Director
- Client/server versions available
- All major web browsers
- Adults: American and British English, Latin American Spanish, Iraqi Arabic, Pashto, and Dari (others on request)
- Children: American English
- Grammars: GSL/JSGF forms; static or dynamic; natural language understanding