SRI researchers discover innovative paradigms to invent and develop high-performance solutions. Our teams work together across disciplines to break new ground and solve ambitious challenges.
Machine design and programming
Rapid machine-learning paradigms, high-efficiency mechanical design, adaptive controls and algorithm development
Sensing and actuation
Coordination of sensing, planning and control and high-performance actuators; haptic feedback and handling kinematic and dynamic constraints in real-time
Remote sensing systems
Advanced technology and systems including incoherent scatter radar, space- and ground-based sensors, and Lidar, imaging, and spectroscopy
Diagnostics and medical devices
Remote sensing systems including biological sensor development, microfluidic devices, optical remote sensing, trace gas sensing and sensor modeling and phenomenology
Pushing the envelope and identifying
opportunities where robots can bring value
SRI Robotics solutions have enabled first-of-a-kind innovations in robotics including:
- Yamaha’s Motobot
- Minimally invasive telerobotic surgical systems
- Remotely operated manipulation systems for mining and explosive render-safe.
Today, SRI Robotics is working on innovative solutions to improve the competitiveness of our customers’ robotic products:
- Artificial muscle actuators
- Twisted pair transmissions in powered clothing to enhance mobility and aid in the recovery from injury
- Light and efficient electro-adhesive brakes that enable the next generation of robotic arms and hands
- Systems to conduct hazardous mining operations or remote repair of satellites in space
- Lightweight infinity variable transmissions and AI-mediated robotic surgery to provide timely treatment to people injured in remote locations
From DC to beyond daylight
Extend perception – detect, process and recognize signals across multiple domains.
From robots to cognitive receivers
Develop smart collaborative systems – software-defined controls adapt to the application, environment and operation.
Advanced engineering solutions
From medical devices to spacecraft
Build disruptive systems and machines – create unique materials, structures, circuits and software.