- Services & Solutions
- Clients & Partners
Cognitive and Computer Scientist, Center for Technology in Learning
Patricia Schank, Ph.D., works on the development of effective education technology. Her broader research interests include human-computer interaction, social computing, computer-supported collaborative learning and scientific reasoning.
Working with multidisciplinary teams, Schank applies a range of iterative methodologies (e.g., participatory design, prototyping, user experience testing, agile development) and insights from cognitive science to design and implement innovative learning environments. Her work includes the use of technology to support transformative new learning experiences (CIRCL), online communities (Tapped In and CTLNet), collaboration (Group Scribbles), science understanding (NanoSense and ChemSense), reasoning (Convince Me) and assessment (PADI, PACT).
Before joining SRI, Schank was a software engineer at Apple, a research consultant at Xerox PARC and a research assistant at the University of California, Berkeley.
She has a Ph.D. in education and an M.S. in computer science from University of California, Berkeley and a B.S. in mathematics and computer science from the University of Nebraska.
- Ph.D., cognition and development, University of California, Berkeley
- M.S., computer science, University of California, Berkeley
- B.S., mathematics and computer science, University of Nebraska
Prior to joining SRI:
- Software Engineer, Apple Computer Advanced Technologies Group
- Research Consultant, Xerox PARC User Interface Research Group
- Graduate Student Instructor and Research Assistant, University of California at Berkeley, Cognitive Science and Computer Science Departments
- Software Engineer, IBM Knowledge Based Systems Group
- Mathematics Consultant, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Mathematics Department
- CIRCL: Center for Innovative Research in Cyberlearming
- Principled Assessment of Computational Thinking (PACT)
- PADI: Evidence-Centered Design