- Services & Solutions
- Clients & Partners
Indicators of biological characteristics and of specific disease states, or biomarkers, are critical to applications ranging from biomedicine to biofuels, forensics, and security. Biomarkers allow for the early detection and treatment of medical conditions, accelerate drug development, and provide guidance for therapy design. Biomarker research also seeks development of new biofuel technologies and security applications.
SRI was an early proponent of using biomarkers across disciplines. For example, we were first to report an intensity-based, label-free method for differential protein profiling.
Few organizations offer SRI’s breadth and depth: our work ranges from handheld devices to novel biological assays, powerful databases, clean technology solutions, and more.
Our current research focuses on:
Biomarker Discovery, Identification, and Validation
- Modeling the EEG markers of cognitive impairment
- Salivary biomarkers (DNA, RNA and cortisol) in determining life stress and nicotine dependence
- Identification of biomarker signatures for infectious diseases such as Aspergillosis
- Identification of biomarkers to predict microbicide safety
- Proteomics studies related to tropical diseases and host-vector-pathogen interfaces
- Oncology diagnostics for therapeutic interventions in cancer treatment, novel glycomics assays to detect and diagnose cancer
- Pharmacogenetics of nicotine addiction and treatment
Diagnostic, Detection, and Instrumentation Development
- Point-of-care diagnostics for parasitic infection
- Circulating tumor cell (CTC) services
- Tobacco research biorepository and biomarker data
- Ultrasensitive and multiplexed diagnostics
- Radiation biodosimetry
- Vital signs monitoring
- Ophthalmology image tool to detect glaucoma
- BIOSPICE systems biology tool for computational modeling
Using synthetic lethality to ID biomarkers for targeted anti-cancer drugs.
SRI’s Brown Laboratory is using selected peptides as “fishing hooks” to identify novel cell surface features.
SRI's Brown Laboratory is taking multiple approaches to develop effective anti-cancer immunotherapies.
SRI’s Brown Laboratory is utilizing cell-targeting peptides to deliver active therapeutic cargo to specific cells in vivo.