SRI International participates in the Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program of the National Science Foundation.
The REU program provides opportunities for outstanding undergraduates to participate in research at SRI and to benefit from the collegial atmosphere of collaboration and communication with the laboratories. SRI has hosted the program for 27 years. 221 students from 135 colleges and universities have participated in this program and have had excellent experiences in laboratory research, often leading to publications.
A wide variety of experimental and theoretical projects have been available for undergraduate participation, including:
- Studies of geospace sciences
- Mass spectrometry
- Biomedical optics
- Platform development in the biological sciences for high-throughput screening, imaging, and bioanalysis.
About the 2020 program
Undergraduate participants must be enrolled in a program leading to a bachelor’s degree and must be U.S. citizens or Permanent Residents of the United States or its possessions. Students who will graduate and receive their bachelor’s degree in 2020 are not eligible.
SRI’s REU program provides (paid) laboratory work experience for six undergraduate students from colleges and universities across the U.S. Out-of-area students are provided with funds to cover airfare to and from their school. A modest housing allowance of $175 per week is provided for participating out-of-area students who rent accommodations in the San Francisco Bay Area. Students are responsible for finding their own housing.
The 2019 REU program will run between May 26 and August 14, 2020. It is usually possible to adjust employment start and end dates to accommodate conflicts with the academic calendar of the participant’s school.
The deadline for program applications is February 15, 2020. Interested students should follow these instructions to apply directly online for the 2020 REU Program:
- Go to sri.com/careers
- Click “Search Jobs” in the magenta box in the middle of the page, directly above the video
- Search on Auto Req ID 2324BR to find “Intern: REU Program” and click on the linked position.
- Carefully follow all instructions in the job description in order to submit a complete application. Note that applications submitted without a personal statement (attach as a “cover letter”) will be considered as incomplete and will not be reviewed. We review complete applications as they arrive, so we recommend students submit their applications early in order to receive full consideration.
- All recommendation letters must be submitted (also at the time of your application) directly to firstname.lastname@example.org by the referees only. Potential applicants can also send any questions they have about the program to this email address.